Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It Happens Every Time

Proverbs 4:23 "
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."


I have never watched a lot of TV. Maybe it's because we didn't get TV in South Africa until the late seventies, and even then it was only on during certain hours. It just never became a habit for me. But there is a deeper, more subtle reason for me avoiding it. It seems every time I think I "need" to watch a particular program, my heart grows discontent. I see something I think I need, or I see someone who is much more attractive than I and I start feeling like I "need" to do something different with my hair or clothes or whatever! Or there are the home shows that I love to watch, but many times leave me feeling less than content with the home I have and wishing for the one I have seen on TV. It's always something. I begin to covet what I don't have and become discontent. It happens with some of the Ladies magazines as well. I try to stay away from them for the same reasons. Now I am not trying to judge anyone else who watches TV or reads magazines...not at all! This is MY problem. And it's something I will continually struggle with and if I am going to be obedient to HIM I need to abstain from watching and reading things that breed these kinds of attitudes in my heart. I want to put the Lord first in everything I do, including the kinds of things I allow to enter my mind, because I need to guard my heart at all times.
For me this is a daily, sometimes hourly, effort. The reason I say this here is because if I write it down here in my blog it keeps me accountable. I know I can't write or say something and then do something else, so here it is. Thanks for reading!

Loving Him,
Mel

2 comments:

  1. Mel, you are wise to guard your heart. Would I drink up a big tall glass of dirty pond water that has been sitting for days upon end? No, especially with the pure refreshing water of God's presence available. To me, television is like a pool of dirty water, and I see no purpose or benefit in taking a big old swig. I'm with you girl. Keep on! It's hard not to want, because we're made, many of us, with fairly decent taste. And if watching means wanting then sometimes it's best to simply step away. Blessings to you and yours. May the Joy of the Lord be your strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melinda!!! I'm so glad you have a blog now!

    What you shared is very true and wise.

    ((( hugs ))) So good to "see" you here now!

    ReplyDelete