Wednesday, November 11, 2009

God is our Refuge

For the past few months I have been trying to memorize Psalm 46 with my Bible Study group. It sure doesn't get easier after you turn 40! I have it posted up on the wall in our bathroom where I dry my hair every morning, so my ritual is to tackle a new verse every couple of weeks. I finally have it down, but more than that, I have learned once again that memorizing something really makes you think about the words. I have grown to love this passage. One of the most rewarding things about memorizing scripture for me is that I can recall it exactly the moment I need it, instead of having to go scrambling for my Bible.

Here is Psalm 46:

1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
Selah

4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.

5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.

6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

8 Come and see the works of the LORD,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.

9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields
with fire.

10 "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

11 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah

One of my all-time favorite verses has been Psalm 46:10 "Be Still, and know that I am God." It has been neat for me to have this verse in context and realize the whole Psalm is really about God being in control of our lives and that no matter what happens to me, He "is my refuge and strength." He is ALWAYS with me- "an ever present help in trouble," and "the Lord Almighty is with us." Nothing is too big for Him! I pray I will never forget Psalm 46.

Lord, help me live today knowing you are my refuge and strength and an ever present help in trouble. All I need to do is ask and you will help me with whatever situation I'm in. Thank you for being my Almighty God. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for saving me.


In His Strength,


~Mel


2 comments:

  1. How encouraging, Mel! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mel! One of my favorites too. In "Psalms Now" verses 8-10 go "Just look about you; read the pages of history. Refresh your flagging spirits with the reminder of His great feats throughout the ages. And you will again hear Him speaking: 'Relax, stop fretting, and remember that I am still Your God; I still hold the reins on this world of yours." Just about what I need right now!
    It's good to see you on here again! :)

    ReplyDelete